Let's Talk About Shin Splints!
Sep 14, 2021
In this highly "interrupted by a 3 year old" video, I am going to share a bunch of tips to think of when it comes to shin splints. What causes them, and how to reduce them!
- flat feet
- worn out shoes
- running surface (too hard like concrete, or too soft like grass)
- "too much too soon" overuse. Beginners are more at risk.
- Not using "floppy ankles"
- Pushing off toes and landing on heels
- Slow stride vs. "quick feet"
- Take my 5 Weeks to 5k Running Clinic, of course! We go over all of the form and technique of proper foot placement and stride in lessons 1 and 2! (and you can take lesson 1 for free on the website!)
- Massage the shin AND calf muscles.
- Rest. You may need to scale back your mileage or running until they go away. You did too much, too soon! Or begin practicing floppy ankles and see if they reduce.